Fact: Failure to comply with MMDA Anti-littering Law can cause you trouble in the future.
In the Philippines wherein laws are usually neglected, many people think that minor violations are harmless. However, there’s a strict enforcement of MMDA Anti-Littering Law. If you fail to settle this violation, a subpoena may be issued.
A friend of mine almost lost his job because of a violation he committed 6 years ago. Can you imagine how a small mistake could haunt you for years?
He badly needed his NBI Clearance for a job promotion. But he was so surprised to know that he couldn’t get his NBI renewed unless he presented a certificate of case dismissal.
If you have 2-4 months to process it, it will be very easy for you! If you are time constraint, you better start processing it now!
It could be very stressful especially when you’re in a hurry to finish it. Stay calm because I believe you can get through this.
I’d like to share the steps you need to follow to clear yourself from the charges against MMDA Anti-Littering Law.
Why did MMDA file a case against me?
On the 22nd of August, 1996, Metro Manila Council implemented a law that “prohibits people to litter or throw garbage to any public places”.
If an MMDA officer catches you throwing a cigarette or candy wrapper, you might be issued a ticket for this violation. In my friend’s case, the MMDA officers caught him throwing a cigarette.
In the actual scenario, you need to clear yourself by either:
- Paying the penalty ranging from P500 to P1,000 (this depends on the city)
- Render community service from 8 hours to 16 hours
If you FAILED to settle your violation, a case will be filed against you. Soon, it can hinder you from getting your NBI clearance, passport, and other government requirements.
It will be endorsed to a local Regional Trial Court (RTC), and a case number under your name will be created.
All you need to do is to obtain a copy of certificate of dismissal.
How can I obtain a certificate of case dismissal for violation against MMDA Anti-Littering law?
Visit the MMDA and local RTC. Follow the steps below to get a copy of certificate of case dismissal.
- Visit the local MMDA office. Inform the security officer of your purpose. The assigned officer will direct you to the 7th floor Health and Sanitation Office, MMDA. This is the main office for anti-littering law.
- Ask for your records. Provide your full name and city where the violation was made. They will pull up your records. Once verified, you will need to give the photocopy of your ID. (Note: If they tell you to visit the next day, kindly ask for them to find your name or envelope.)
- Pay the penalty amount of 500. Go to the treasurer’s office and pay for the penalty amount. Make sure to have three copies of the receipt. You will submit two of them to the MMDA officers.
- Submit your receipt and wait for the affidavit of desistance. When you submit your records, you will need to wait for 1-4 weeks to get an affidavit of desistance. The MMDA officers will forward it to the assigned RTC. Don’t forget to call the MMDA officers daily!
- Attend a court hearing in the assigned local RTC. Once the MMDA confirms that the affidavit of desistance is issued, you need to attend the local hearing. Please come earlier or on time! I have seen others who lost their chance to attend the session because of being tardy.
- Wait for the copy of your certificate of case dismissal. Once the court officers clear your name, you will receive the certificate. They told me before that it’s the only copy they could provide. Make sure to have it laminated, or kept in a very secured place.
What problems will I have during the process?
In our case, it happened in 2020. The government was very strict in isolated lockdown. It was also the time when the then chairman of MMDA passed away.
The truth is, the main problem would be TIME. As mentioned earlier, if you have 2-4 months, you can relax and wait for the whole process to finish.
BUT, if you have 1 month left for your requirements, make sure to FOLLOW UP.
In our case, we constantly did a follow up call to MMDA officers until the affidavit of desistance is issued. Then, we did a daily follow up call to the local RTC officers.
It’s highly recommended that you ask for their contact numbers especially for the MMDA staff member.
It’s not going to be easy but remain calm and be patient. Don’t lose hope because you will be able to complete this for sure.